Friday, January 23, 2009

Industrail Detroit

In the industrial areas very near the downtown area, is a vast wasteland and has been so for decades. Huge factories stand abandoned marking what had once been the birth place of the modern industrial complex. It was here that electricity was first coupled to power machines capable of producing interchangeable, uniform parts. This technology, in part, helped win WWII. Throughout the late 1800's and 1900's thousands migrated to work here. Detroit was the leader of innovation in the world, becoming the fourth largest city in the Nation, back in 1950.



As the factories closed within the city, many moving to the nearby suburbs, much of the population followed them. Today, the Metro Detroit (including suburbs) area has a population near 4,500,000, ranking it 11th in the Nation.



Many of these mammoth giants are being torn down today. I was just shocked just how many have been dismantled and hauled away during my last visit there. Notice the construction trailer parked on the lot in the picture above? This abandoned factory will very likely be gone by the time I make the next trip down there. I very much suspect the ground around these complexes are likely to be somewhat contaminated, and there have been times I've had to dress in a class 2 safety suit during removal operations of such material, in the past. However, many of these places will be capped over making them safe once again. Sometimes my work cloths were so dirty, I'd often take them to Laundry Mats like the one pictured below and have them washed there... Daring not, to bringing them home! Sometimes it takes industrial strength detergent to remove industrial dirt...




I can't agree more with JHK's thoughts about industry not coming back to such structures, as they are hulled out, very, very few of the old machines left in them, if any. Besides they would not fit the needs of the newer industrial factory of today. Of course taking down such structures costs money, however more times than not, the steel structure that is salvaged often helps substantially in covering much of the demolition costs. Perhaps in the no so distant future, as the price of steel rises, that will speed up the process of demolition? I hope so, as they are sooo ugly.



Not so long ago, when I was posting on MSN treads, it'd be often that I'd relate that Detroit or Michigan still leads the economy and that places like Los Angeles or California would be next to decline. Most would scoff at such an idea, thinking Michigan only lags behind in the recovery of the early 2000's recession. I suppose now, this idea isn't so farfetched...


Detroit being the birthplace of the modern industrial complex, doesn't it stand to reason that as the jobs it once provided were being shipped overseas, it would be one of the first to decline? I must say, I was very, very disappointed driving around the downtown area, I had thought that more improvements would have been made since the twenty years that I worked there. I had put a lot of heart and soul into it, and a lot of sweat! Can Detroit stage a comeback? I think so, it'll very likely never be what it once was, but then again, if the suburbs are to go next, where are those people to go?
There are those that are suggesting that as this civilization wanes, it'll become more of a world that is made by hand. I can't agree more, as it appears our energy might wane in the process also. If Detroit is to be a viable city in the future, it'll have to have the resources enabling it to be so. I'm going to strongly suggest it has and think that by the will of it's people, this great city could once again marvel to those that come upon it.




4 comments:

yooper said...

Gee, it appears as if I've scared off my company for the time being... I can't blame them and this has happened often in the past.

In the past, I've stopped cold 1,000+ response long treads, saying far less while trying to be ever so mindful...

Nudge said...

Great stuff, Yooper. Have you ever read Ayn Rand's “Atlas Shrugged”? Good stuff. Your images and descriptions from Detroit would fit nicely into that story. Some folks have labeled the book “PO dieoff pr0n” but it is really more than that. It is sort of like a call to action on a personal level, and not being ashamed of hard work if you've got the [whatever] to do it.

If you look at what's been done to industry in this country, you should cry. We have systematically destroyed the same stuff it took our ancestors many generations to build .. and for what? So we could enjoy cheaper sneakers, t-shirts, and electronics at big-box stores? Feh.

yooper said...

Heh!heh! Nudge! No, I haven't read "Atlas Shrugged", I have to make a point to get it.

Oh Nudge, I hope I haven't offended you in anyway. And if I did, please except my apology, I'm sorry. This kind of information just isn't for everybody. Perhaps, for most (I'm not including you), it's, "better to let sleeping dogs lie?" "Unhealthy obsession"? If, I had not gotten much of this as a child and been hardened by it, I believe I would have went insane years ago... It hasn't been easy for me, that the God's honest truth....

It does look bad this time around, but ya gotta believe, we been in a boat much like it before. The late 70's and early 80's redcession was a very bad one. The housing market did fall apart, in a different way, as rates where as high as 18%. Chyrsler did get a goverment bailout. The Nation shed millions of jobs...

Of course this time is different, but we're not going to crash in one night, I'm quite certain of that.

You bet, I catch myself wiping back tears often... Especially, seeing what our ancestors have made being lost. I do think that is how civilizations wane.

On the flip side of the coin Nudge, we could systematically rebuild many areas of Detroit! The city and many others like it, are "ripe" for it! It'll take time, but I believe companies like CAT, will come back, not to it's former glory, but a partial recovery, then perhaps more decline, etc..

Thanks, yooper

yooper said...

There are many who veiw statistics on sheets so much, that we lose in sight, that they're just not numbers, but people....I am guilty of that.......